Feeling good about how we feed our babies

How to get help

If you need help, there is lots of support available. You can contact:

  • The NCT Infant Feeding Line (0300 330 0700). This helpline is for practical and emotional support with any type of feeding. Breastfeeding counsellors have had extensive training, will listen without judging or criticising and will offer relevant information and suggestions. Calling the helpline costs the same as any local call, however, if you have free ‘inclusive’ minutes on a landline or mobile, it will be included in those.
  • The National Breastfeeding Helpline (0300 100 0212) is open 9.30am-9.30pm, 365 days a year, offering non judgmental, evidence based, friendly breastfeeding support and information to anyone who needs it.  All calls are answered by highly trained volunteers, all mums who have breastfed, and all trained and supported by The Breastfeeding Network and The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers. Support in Welsh and Polish is available on the same number.  The National Breastfeeding Helpline is funded by Public Health England and the Scottish Government. For more details including call charges click here.
  • Your Midwife: Your midwife will normally continue to care for you and your baby for around 10-14 days after the birth. (This might vary by area and by you and your baby’s needs.) Your midwife can offer advice about all aspects of feeding and also provide emotional support.
  • Your Health Visitor: Your midwife will normally hand over your care to your health visitor when your baby is around 10-14 days old. This care lasts until your child is 5 year’s old, with routine checks at set intervals. Health visitors are registered nurses with a specialist qualification in community public health and health promotion for families with young children. They can help or signpost you appropriately, with almost any concerns you have about your baby, including all aspects of feeding. If you are unsure how to get in touch with your Health Visitor, contact your GP’s surgery.
  • Your GP: Your GP can offer medical treatment and refer you to specialist care.

For information about Post-Natal Depression and Anxiety click here.

For information about preparing infant formula milk safely click here or here.

For information about mixed feeding click here.

For information about expressing and storing breast milk click here.


Did you find this website helpful?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are continually improving the website. To leave more detailed feedback, please go to https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/26422

We are continually improving the website. To leave more detailed feedback, please go to https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/26422